Launched in 2003, Garnier, a leading haircare brand owned by L’Oreal, suspected its core consumer of Millennials aged 18-34 was growing up and growing out. To keep their best purchasers and influencer groups loyal, Garnier looked to deepen engagement by aligning the brand with passions that our audience valued the most. So, like the millennials, Garnier followed the music.
Deepen engagement and connect with consumers on an intimate level to drive awareness and trial with new consumers, and maintain loyalty with existing.
In order to identify the most viable opportunities for immersive brand engagement and direct product trail, Garnier dove deep into the audience’s mindsets, motivations, and passions.
To no surprise, music and fashion rose to the top of their interests, with the quest for style, self-expression and individuality at the center of their priorities. So what did we do? We went to the intersection of fashion and music: the music festival.
Garnier joined the 13,700,000 consumers’ ages 18-24 (or one out of every 5) who attended music festivals last year and provided them with a sharable and long-lasting experience, designed for full immersion into the brand and direct product sampling on-site. The final solution was a combination of our audience’s passion and a natural area of opportunity within the festival space: music + style + festivals + camping + lack of showers + free hair washing and styling. Need we say more?
Introducing #GarnierMusic: a gigantic splash at five of the nation’s hottest music festivals including Bonnaroo, Coachella, Big Barrel, Firefly, and iHeart Radio. At the heart of the #GarnierMusic program was something all festival fans crave: a cool hair wash and a hot new style, delivered through an experience that allowed them to interact with the brand in a multi-sensory way throughout the course of the festival experience.
The #GarnierMusic activations and sampling program spanned across all festivals and included:
The Garnier Salon, a 40×40 custom built, fully enclosed Salon with a sophisticated digital queue system to manage lines forming hundreds of attendees deep and starting as early as 7am. The Salon provided festival attendees with an on-site hair wash and style from a professional Garnier stylist. Consumers were also given personalized product recommendations and samples based on their individual haircare needs. The Salon experience also allowed fans to rock their style via social photo activations and onsite giveaways via brand and festival social channels.
In addition to the core Garnier Salon footprint, we expanded the festival experience through shower sampling, self-style stations, and unique partner integrations:
- Shower Sampling: ask any festival goer and you’ll quickly find that cool showers are in high demand. Garnier took over the festival showers and provided free product samples, allowing consumers to use Garnier products in the moment.
- Self-Style Stations: For consumers on the run between sets, Garnier built self-style stations for quick touch ups using Garnier’s featured styling products.
- Festival Survival Kits: Festival survival kits distributed to fans featured full-size product, samples and free branded swag to support their festival style like sunglasses, hair ties, and the ever-popular and much needed bandana. Kits were given to the first people in line for hair washing every day, artists, VIPs, and were seeded as social currency onsite.
- VIP / Artist Sampling and Styling: To gain alignment and build credibility with artists and influencers relevant to the audience, Garnier partnered with names like Tove Lo and Phoebe Ryan to style their hair prior to their performances, while also establish a presence in festival Artist and VIP areas throughout the weekend.
- On-Site Partnerships: Brand partnerships socially popular and relevant brands such as Alex and Ani, TribeTats, and Kohler drove fans to the experience, boosted reach and strengthened credibility, generating over 2.5M additional impressions.
- Eco-friendly Partnership: Garnier also brought their upcycling partner, TerraCycle to the experience by allowing attendees to recycle their sample packettes on-site. The initiative helped to create upcycled items like benches, backpacks and totes, made from Garnier products. To bring things full circle, upcycled benches were used at the Salon for attendees while they waited for their hair wash and style appointments.
In totality, the #GarnierMusic Festival Sampling experience was a highly successful activation, confirmed by direct feedback from our most important fans – our customers: “It was definitely one of my favorite things there. I loved the Salon and the product samples!”
In addition to driving a lift in sales and category share to compliment the over 200K samples and 121M impressions for the brand, #GarnierMusic campaign received:
- 2 Silver Reggie Awards (Best Age-Specific Campaign and Best Experiential Marketing Campaign)
- 1 Gold EX Award (Best Sampling Campaign)
- 1 Gold PRO Award (Best Sampling Campaign)
- 1 MITX Award (Best Campaign Targeting Millennials)